Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Effort to Slow Down...


I've been taking dr's orders and sleeping in when I can, taking time out to do things that are truly relaxing and drinking LOTS of water. It's helping, it's just difficult to switch gears so abruptly. I used to find it easy to relax after a long day of work, but lately my mind just races around and even sitting down isn't relaxing...

I have been swimming a lot. Our pool is a welcome invitation after a long day, but it all depends on when I get home. I used to swim competitively so it's interesting coming at swimming from a relaxation standpoint.

I have been watching movies at least twice a week. Some of the latest have been Pumpkin, Brokeback Mountain, Hitch, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (had already seen but was worth the re-watch), Cinderella Man, and Beyond the Sea. Let me know if you have any suggestions for uplifting, relaxing, or funny films that I may not have seen. I like movies that have good character development and are well-written. I also love to laugh and crying can be therapeutic... so put on your thinking caps.

Books... well, I am reading 3 books simultaneously right now (Tender at the Bone - Ruth Reichl, Naked - David Sedaris, and The Professor and the Madman - Simon Winchester) ... I realize now that I'm reading all non-fiction. This is unusal for me... though I to gravitate towards books that have a narrative tone and these have that in common. If you have other reccs let me know... I am a librarian so I have a storehouse of books I have yet to read, but I'm always open to suggestions.

There you have it... my 3 prong approach... swimming, movies, books... now I know I'll get bored with this soon... next skydiving??? xoS

10 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

hmm... good movies? what about chocolat? under the tuscan sun? oprahs book club books?

i love to swim. hope you are getting much needed relaxation. xox

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i liked the family stone and elizabethtown (of things i've seen recently...)

6:03 PM  
Blogger sophie said...

mountain biking - i'm going next
week!!

and yes Gina has a point -
dark chocolate.

6:48 PM  
Blogger How do we know said...

wow!! Am happy u're doing this!!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Let's see, movie sugestions - are there any from my SMRC column tha you haven't seen? You might like tomorrow's selection, too.

As for books - I have three series recommendations for you:

Try the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins (1st Book "Left Behind"). Or how about some good fantasy series: The Belgariad by David Eddings (1st book "Pawn of Prophecy) and The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (1st book "Wizard's First Rule")

Both of these series of books are among my personal favorites.

6:54 PM  
Blogger x said...

when i want to really relaaaaaax i see James Ivory films!
by the way you look so beautiful in that photo.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Gina: thanks for the suggestions... I wish there was one among that I haven't read! I am getting back into a more relaxed state... Hope you are too! xoS

Ruby: I haven't seen Elizabethtown... will put that on the list!

Sophie: Just need a bike... good idea. Dark chocolate is one of my favorite things... esp. with cashews.

hdwk: meeee too!

green: I will take a look...have tried all of these, but thanks anyway!

chloe: good suggestion... I love James Ivory films... I should revisit some and see if there are any i missed! you, as always, look lovely too! xoS

8:55 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

"Because of Winn Dixie" is and excellent uplifting movie.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Walking helps me relax and watching films, too!

Is the D Sedaris book good?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

K: I read the book when I was a librarian, but haven't seen the film yet, so thanks!

M: The Sedaris book is great! I love reading books that look at the humor of everyday bizarre life...

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home