Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Makeover for the New Year

I've been doing so much thinking about inward change, that I've neglected the outer a little. Friday I've scheduled my first haircut in weeks and can't wait! Take a look at this picture (taken a about a month ago) and let me know if you have any ideas!?
I also hope to finally find a dentist... I have not had a cavity yet, knock on wood... but haven't been to the dentist in years. These 30 year old teeth probably need some TLC. There are lots of things we forget to do when obsessing on other things. I had a year of mostly focus on Celiac. I had to change my entire lifestyle. As a result I cared more about my insides (quite literally). Dining with me has become an adventure that I do not inflict on most others. I went to quite a few holiday parties where there was all this scuttling about - trying to accomodate my needs. I truly appreciated it, but sometimes I wish they'd just let me help! It's very difficult to explain what I can/cannot eat. My mother-in-law handled it best. She called and had me send her a list - even had me shop with her before she bought food for her pantry. My husband and I visited for a few days and she wanted to be prepared. I also brought along my new favorite thing! LARABARS! They are the best!! I can't eat gluten now, so I miss my ClifBars and other nutrition bars... but these are GF! They totally rock. The company is so cool that they gave me a nice t-shirt... my hubby calls it my sexy shirt... shows off my curves... ha! Anyhow, if you like dates and nuts, these are for you!! They come in really great varieties... check them out... www.larabar.com. They were absolutely a gift during the holiday season... kept me safe from the hospital!!

The New Year has also brought some tough realizations. Money is tight. There will not be a car for me in the near future. Eating, it seems, is more important. Go figure! We also are in dire need of a dining room table... we haven't had a housewarming or guests over yet and we've lived here for almost half a year now... it's pathetic. There is something in me that just wants to nest- no matter how silly it is. It's not out of being pretentious. I don't actually think that in order to entertain you HAVE to have a dining room table. It's just something I'd like to do and am holding onto that like holding on to my dream for a car. To be sure, there are many more important things in life... having kids, improving myself... the odd thing is that I can link having a car and dining room table to those goals... now if that's not cracked up... I don't know what is...

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
~Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850

16 Comments:

Blogger Genna said...

You are so beautiful!

Thank you for posting. I tend to be a worrier and was a little concerned when you had not updated in ages. But the holidays can drive you insane.

My mom is also on a very strict diet, so I understand how difficult it can be. And difficult for everyone else.

Happy New Year to you! I think it is going to be amazing.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Thanks Genna! No need to worry... I'm BAAAAAAACK!!!! And... oh yes, it will be AMAZING!

4:02 PM  
Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

your husband is a lucky man.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

if you need a make over then God help me .. trust me .. no make up or make over for you ..

you look pretty the way you are (not just saying it)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

You, sarafina, are a very attractive woman!!! What a great picture! I personally like shoulder length hair on a woman, but do what you need to do to make you feel good about yourself.

Kudos for doing what you need to do to take care of you. Even if it means a radical lifestyle change.

Never lose hope, though. Things will get better (just remember that things could be worse, too.)
Sorry - had to look at the flip side.

It's a good thing to set goals. That way you have something to reach for.

Cheers.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Scribe: And I'm a lucky lady! He saw me through my quite awkward stage.

Nabeel: Thank you! I appreciate that. We women often wonder what others really think. I only have one good friend that I can trust for brutal honesty in the looks department. Though I'm usually asking the usual "does my butt look big in these jeans", etc.

Green: Thanks and thanks some more. I need all the encouragement I can get. I have days where I'm 10 lbs. heavier than the day before b/c of this disease, so my self confidence does falter from time to time. I have four sizes in my closet for skirts and pants since all the weight goes straight to the middle and I never know whether it will be a bad day or not. I'm hoping for a much better New Year. Maybe I'll be able to lay out my clothes the night before for the first time in a year!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

sarafina:

no problem. at first glance, your headshot reminded me of a young Carrie Fisher,(see original Star Wars trilogy) who back then was VERY ATTRACTIVE, especially to a young lad such as myself....

8:25 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I think this is an awesome post... and you are beautiful.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

W- Thank you! I think your posts are great - I love stream of conscious posts... Also think you are gorgeous dahling... :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

GREEN.

Green... Over here.

Green!

Green?

Greeeennnnnnn?


I'm working on a plan to get sarafina to pose in the Leia slavegirl outfit....hee hee

2:56 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Scribe & Green - Right about now I'm having visions of Two Wild and Crazy Guys... a la Steve Martin & Dan Ackroyd.

Shame on you, Scribe, for ruining Green's image! :)

"But enough of this flattery. You young girls seem to know that we're talking to you in a very swinging way. What can you say to us that we would enjoy talking about with you now, here and now, in this swinging way with us? "

3:05 PM  
Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

NO ONE else cruises and swings so succesfully in tight slacks.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, no.. your bachelor pad certainly is messed around. Soon, will be the foxes. Where is the portable floor vacuum that you brought with you from Czechoslavakia?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

sarafina: scribe can't ruin my image. Only I can do that.

scribe: do you agree with me that sarafina lookks like Princess Leia?

I'm with you on the slave girl outfit.

HOT

6:50 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Green: True, very true.

Enough of this slave girl fantasy... she looked acutely uncomfortable with all that rusty metal around her neck Ah, what a girl has to do for fashion and the male/Jabba imagination...

8:33 PM  
Blogger x said...

you have an amazing smile. and shiny hair. you are beautiful.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home