Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fleet Feet


Ever since late last year when I started experiencing extreme numbness in my legs and feet, I realized how much I had pissed away my chances to exercise. I was getting fairly sedentary though those that knew me didn't know how much my muscles had begun to atrophy.

I have a second chance now, an opportunity to get healthy. I have been speed walking on my treadmill about 4 times a week, going about 2 miles each time. The exercise ball has also helped my crazy tummy which increases by 2 pant sizes anytime I accidentally eat something with gluten. Crunches are my new best friend, as is my hot water bottle. A friend of mine introduced me to that trick. It helps for those awful monthly cramps, but also general bouts with extreme bloating when I dine out (inevitably) and the chef doesn't know what gluten is, but is too embarrassed to admit it. So... how do I stay motivated? Sometimes I don't, I wallow, I don't wake up when I should. Usually the music wins... I let music be the one to drag me of bed. I love music that much. For working out I listen to what I refer to as "model stomp music" - you know music that you can't help but feel through powerful steps... steps that mean business.

My favorites ---
American Woman (Lenny Kravitz) * Starry-Eyed Surprise (Paul Oakenfold) * Mama Said Knock You Out (LL Cool J) * Hey Baby (No Doubt) * I Fought the Law (Clash) * Praise You OR Weapon of Choice (Fatboy Slim) *You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)* Batter Up (Nelly)*Pour Some Sugar On Me (Def Leppard)* Goody Two Shoes (Adam Ant) * So Alive (Love & Rockets) *It's Tricky (Run DMC) * Bittersweet Symphony (The Verve) * Loser (Beck) * Oh What A Night - December 1963 (Four Seasons) *Without Me (Eminem) * Hit the Road Jack (Ray Charles) * Do Wa Diddy (Manfred Mann) * Oh Yeah (Yello) * Cherry Pie (Warrant) * Bust A Move (Tone Loc) *Relax (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) * Song of the South OR Louisiana Saturday Night (Alabama) * Pump Up The Volume (Marrs) * Closer (NIN) * Wild, Wild West (Escape Club) *You're My Everything (Barry White) * Volcano (Jimmy Buffett) * Dancing Queen (ABBA) * Hot In Heeere (Nelly) .... and many, many more....

I used to DJ back in college so I have lots of different kinds of music to draw from. I am incredibly driven to dance when I hear it, but when on the treadmill it turns into a hyperkinetic expression of how happy I am to be moving again. I hope I don't lose that. And if you have lost it ... I hope you find it again too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home