Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Better Than Fireworks...


I just read a friend's post and was inspired to write. She has had a history of bad experiences with the men in her life (dad and exes). I have had my share of bad relationships, but none of them abusive... they ended usually because there was a lack of seriousness on my part or their part. I have always believed that a sense of humor was the MOST important thing to me in all my relationships. All of my close friends share my sense of humor... that includes family members I am close to. Before I met my husband I long dated those that I had been able to develop "His Girl Friday" kind of repore. I have to have witty repartee. I can't live without it... if I can't have that back and forth of funny discourse, I am not turned on... That made it difficult to find someone who had a good balance of qualities.

I found several guys in h.s. and college who were only interested in having a fun time, in being the clown... they were not interested in settling down or having a serious discussion once in a while. Almost 10 yrs. ago, when I was at the end of my rope after a bad blind date, I spoke to a friend who had been online and got a "good laugh" out of looking at online dating profiles of guys in her area... since I was so depressed she suggested I look there to cheer up.. . since I was bound to find guys even worse than the guys I was dating. I know... cheery! I did look. I found someone though who seemed out of place... he stood out... he sounded serious... PhD bound... driven.... but what's this..... a fan of Monty Python? A fan of Celtic music? A fan of Gilda Radner? The list went on and on... I went to his site and found the window to my soul... we started emailing... met months later... and we never were apart from then on... never a break-up, never a hiccup.

We got married 3 years ago. We've been very happy and we still have our witty repartee alive and kicking... The only thing I ever worry about is that maybe we don't have sex as much as we should... I'm not wired that way I guess... I can't worry about what society things is "normal" for sex drive... so we talk about that occasionally, but seriously... it's not that big a deal. I'd rather be able to hug and kiss my hubby and laugh lots. Question is can one really have it all? I have all I need. I do. I guess, though, sometimes I wish I had more of the lusty fireworks some people describe... mine are more like eternal sparklers. :o) But I like sparklers... they’re feisty and have a flair all their own.

2 Comments:

Blogger Genna said...

Sparklers sound so beautiful... I am glad you two found each other. Love was not meant to stay so bright and hot. I saw a show about the physics of love (gotta love TLC) and it basically illustrated that if people kept up all of those processes within their bodies that "new Love" brings to the table, they would have a heart attack. God designed us to stay together for a long time.

Just remember...one day at a time. Realize how blessed you are for finding the right one for you. :> That makes me so happy!!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Meee too! I searched high and low... It's true though, when you're not seriously looking for THE one (I was in a more soul searching mode at the time), you may just end up finding your soul mate. He's my penguin.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home